Photography Workshops at the VSWS
Every year, The American Bear Association organizes photographic workshops from May-August, which take place at the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary.
Photographers who wish to hold their own workshops at the VSWS should get in contact with the office by phone or email for prices and availability.
Black Bear Photo Workshops at the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary
The Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary is 500+ acres of North Woods habitat, ideal for black bears and other wildlife. Vince Shute habituated generations of bears frequenting the Sanctuary unintentionally, as he tried to find a way to peacefully coexist with his forest neighbors. Vince fed the bears for more than 25 years. The feeding continues today as a means of preserving the extraordinary opportunities this unique situation provides. It allows The American Bear Association to educate the visiting public about the natural history of the American black bear and all natural resources. In addition, it allows The American Bear Association to offer you the chance to photograph this normally shy and reclusive animal.
Eric Tetens Photo Workshops – Anticipating the Shot
Eric is a wildlife photographer, having visited VSWS since 2000 capturing over 100,000 images of the bears. His photo credits include: Sierra Club, ESPN and various regional and local publications. Eric has shot extensively throughout North and Central America focusing on bears and wolves. Eric’s has studied the North American Black Bear extensively and utilizes his understanding of bears, and specifically bears at VSWS, to help his students take better photographs.
Eric will discuss the history of VSWS, its bears, and what to look for when framing each shot. Emphasis will be placing photographers in the right position to get that award winning shot. All instruction will occur in the field to give each photographer as much time as possible with the bears. Each session will provide the photographer with ample opportunity to capture; cubs scampering up a tree, sleeping in a branch, mothers defending cubs, boars vying for position, cooling off in the pond or resting on wood chips. Most photographers shoot more than they expect so please bring memory cards and batteries as well as additional bodies and lenses so you can the most flexibility while shooting at the sanctuary. Tripods are allowed although monopods have proven to be the easiest to use in the field.
Eric’s 2023 Schedule: June 3rd-5th & August 5th-7th
- Friday Night: Participants will assemble for registration, introductions and bear safety instructions at 7pm. Eric will provide a brief discussion about what to anticipate over the weekend and answer questions. Attendance for this meeting is mandatory and waivers must be signed in order to shoot at the sanctuary.
- Saturday, Sunday and Monday: Participants will shoot early in the morning and later in the afternoon when the bears are active and we have the best light. Mid-day there will be optional trips to shoot birds on Pelican lake or waterfalls in the surrounding area. The VSWS is closed to the public on Saturday morning as well as all day on Sunday and Monday, so you will be the only guests!
Ernie & Angie Page Photo Workshop – Black Bears of the Northwoods
This workshop is taught in an easy going and humorous manner by a husband and wife team. Ernie and Angie Page were born and raised in the rolling hills of West Virginia where they still reside. Their “home away from home” is the Smoky Mountains and quickly becoming a close second is the VSWS! They are a husband and wife team that love teaching others about their love for nature and photography. It is that love and passion for nature that has drawn them to specialize in nature and landscape photography. They have been volunteering at the VSWS for 2 weeks during the year for 5+ years. Ernie and Angie Page will share their knowledge and skill to help you not only learn or further develop key photography concepts but also learn more about the American Black Bear! You will experience the Black Bear in a way not experienced anywhere but here. You will come away with a life changing experience and the awesome photos to prove it.
About this workshop:
- For photographers who prefer hands-on with most of our instruction in the field
- Opportunities for group discussions and questions and answers
- Designed toward amateur nature photographers with beginner to advanced skill levels
- Small group size to allow for individual attention to participants
- We shoot right along with you….but in a limited capacity. We use our time shooting as field demonstrations that help to reinforce fundamental concepts of photography and help expand your creative vision
Concepts of particular focus:
- Depth of Field
Ernie and Angie’s 2023 Schedule: July 3rd-5th
- Sunday, July 2nd 6pm meet at the VSWS visitor center. Participants will assemble for registration, introductions, some class time on exposure and bear safety instructions. Attendance for this meeting is mandatory and waivers must be signed in order to shoot at the sanctuary.
- Monday (July 3rd), Tuesday (July 4th) and Wednesday (July 5th) we will meet at 6:30 am daily at the VSWS visitor Center and make our way to the sanctuary. Photography time daily will be 7am till dark with ~3 hour break in afternoon. We will use time when the bears are active and we have the best light. All itineraries are subject to change depending on weather and bear activity.
- Monday, July 3rd (night photography/fireworks). The town of Orr, MN may be small but they put on a BIG fireworks display over Pelican Lake! Anyone interested in coming out after dark for some fireworks photography is encouraged to do so.
- The VSWS is closed to the public on Monday and Tuesday/Wednesday mornings as well ,so you will be the only guests!
$800 per person for all photo workshops (this includes a digital basic membership to the American Bear Association). We also politely ask, although not required, that each photographer donate at least one royalty free photo to the ABA for their use for monetary gains, marketing and promotions and this in-kind donation will help keep the facilities in operation. See below for membership details, benefits and also cancellations policies.
Photo Workshop Information
- Class size is limited to 8 people for June & July workshops and 6 people for August & September workshops, so register early
- All proceeds will go to support The American Bear Association
- All participants will be required to view and sign the bear safety tips
- All participants will be required to sign a VSWS liability waiver
- Be sure to bring all your camera equipment
- Be prepared for adverse weather
- YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO REGISTER AND ATTEND THE WORKSHOP. ID REQUIRED UPON ARRIVAL IF REQUESTED BY STAFF.
Questions? Call (218) 757-0172 or email us.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
You must notify ABA with a written request (by email or US mail with confirmation from ABA) 60 days before the workshop date for a full refund. Any cancellations within 60 days of the event will not be accepted and will be processed as a donation. Thank you.
YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO REGISTER. ID REQUIRED UPON ARRIVAL IF REQUESTED BY STAFF.
Reservations & Booking
*Videographers looking for a private reservation are required to contact us directly at (218) 757-0172.
Private Workshops conducted at the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary
Other private workshops are available that are not booked on VSWS website. These workshops are booked through the workshop leaders themselves. Since they are booked through the leaders themselves pricing, refunds and cancellation policies vary. Any questions regarding the workshops below must be directed to the workshop leader(s) not Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary.
Chris Norcott & Bill Lea will be holding TWO workshops for the 2023 season. Space is limited, sign up TODAY to reserve your spot. For any questions, please e-mail Chris directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org. All bookings are done through their private website: https://www.chrisnorcott.com/Blackbeartours
Chas Glatzer will be holding TWO workshops for the 2023 season. Space is limited, sign up TODAY to reserve your spot. All bookings are done through their private website: https://www.shootthelight.com/Workshops-2023/Black-bears-&–Pelicans/1
Stan Tekiela will be holding TWO workshops for the 2023 season. Space is limited, sign up TODAY to reserve your spot. All bookings are done through their private website:http://www.naturesmart.com/?module=tours
Accommodation in Orr
Accommodations are available throughout the Pelican Lake area. Call 1-800-357-9255 for details or visit orrpelicanlake.com
Travel Highway 53 north from Duluth, MN approximately two hours. One mile south of Orr, turn left (west) onto County Road 23. Grey Wolf Lodge is located approximately 6 miles down CR 23, while the VSWS is an additional 7 miles west on the same road.
Visiting Northern Minnesota
Who says you have to stay in the pristine North woods of Minnesota for only three days? There are numerous other opportunities available to explore. You could try some aerial photography of Pelican Lake and the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary. You could photograph the captive wolves at the International Wolf Center in Ely, Minnesota. You could even take a guided boat tour through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. And of course you can spend each evening at the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary, learning even more about the bears. Ask the Activities Director at your choice of lodging for details. For more information, please contact us at (218) 757-0172.
Membership of the American Bear Association
Simply include your dues in the space provided on the registration form and pay the member’s only price for this workshop. The American Bear Association is a Minnesota based nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. All support comes from the private sector through annual dues, visitor donations, merchandise sales and photography fees. The American Bear Association receives no federal or state support. Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent of federal and state law.
Membership Benefits Include:
- Our tri-annual publication, BEAR IN MIND
- Special discounts on ABA sponsored workshops and programs
- Knowledge that you are making a difference!
- MEMBERSHIP LEVELS:
- Member – $30 annually
- ‘Friend of the Cubs’ – $100 annually
- Sustaining Member – $250 annually
- Lifetime Member- $1,000